Evergreen, Conifer Host Summer Fun
June 8, 2012 by Margaret Stapleton
This is the time of year we all wait for in Evergreen. It’s 90 degrees in Denver this weekend. Get out of the heat and hit the fun in the nearby mountain suburbs of Denver, Evergreen and Conifer. There is something happening in town every weekend all summer. Here are a few highlights of the summer fun we have this year in and near Evergreen.
1. Throughout the summer, the 2012 Summer Concert Series is in high gear at Evergreen Lake with music from Tunia, John Erlandson, Oakhurst and the Mighty High Band, Dakota Blonde and many more great musical acts. It’s an early evening (5 – 9 pm) every other week. You can enjoy the bands while canoeing or paddle boating on the lake, fishing or hiking, enjoying fun activities for the kids and lots of snacks from local restaurants. www.EvergreenLakePresents.com
2. Evergreen Rodeo is on June 16th. This Father’s Day favorite includes a parade that is a huge hit, local specials from restaurants and a real western show at our local rodeo grounds.
3. Evergreen and Conifer have incredible theatrical events all summer, plus Summer Camps for kids at the StageDoor Theatre in Conifer, plus shows all summer at Stagedoor and Evergreen Players. This year shows include Hair! and Almost, Maine.
4. The Evergreen Jazz Festival runs from July 27 through July 29 at venues all over town. Check out www.EvergreenJazz.org
5. Evergreen galleries and art stores keep the doors open until 8 pm every Friday throughout the summer for the “Last Friday Gallery Walk.” The Oil Painters of American National Art Show will be held at the Evergreen Fine Art Gallery June 22 – July 21
6. The Evergreen Triple Bypass Bicycle Ride will be held July 14 and 15. This local favorite gets everyone in Evergreen involved handing out water bottles and helping to direct traffic.
7. Summerfest will be held on July 21 – 22, a community favorite with arts, crafts, music and activities. Visit www.EvergreenArts.org
8. On August 4 from 6-9 pm Conifer will host the 10th Annual Night in the Park with drinks, dinner, silent and live auction and a Live Band to raise money for Mountain Area Land Trust. More information? www.savetheland.org
9. On September 9, Evergreen Lake hosts The Big Chili Cook Off for the season’s big final event. Locals challenge one another to receive the coveted prize for the Best Red and Green Chili. Lots of refreshments are sold this day. Bands and activities abound.